Psychological Science Agenda
APA Presidential Initiative
APA Citizen PsychologistTM initiative will highlight outstanding service.
- NIH adopts new rules on human research, worrying behavioral scientists
Washington Post coverage of clinical trials issue.
- APA releases new journal article reporting standards
Aimed at increasing transparency, standards guide quantitative and qualitative research reporting.
- Implementation of revised Common Rule delayed by at least six months
Revision raises complex challenges for research institutions.
- New APA report analyzes psychology faculty salaries at four-year colleges and universities
Breaks down salaries by type of institution, rank, gender and other variables.
- Higher stress among minority and low-income populations can lead to health disparities, says report
Recommends steps to address stress that significantly affect health differences, life expectancy.
- APA awards 2017 Meritorious Research Service Commendations
Two federal psychologists are recognized for promoting research programs in psychology and health.
- The 2017 APA Dissertation Research Award recipients
Fifty-nine graduate students received funding for their research.
- Meritorious Research Service Commendation: Call for nominations
Recognition for those in government and nonprofit sectors who help to advance psychological science.
- APA Prize for Interdisciplinary Team Research: Call for applications
Prize-winning team will receive $5000 for continued research. Application deadline is May 1, 2018.
- McGuigan Early Career Investigator Prize: Call for nominations
Deadline is March 1, 2018.
APA Board's and Committees
- In brief
Snapshots of some of the latest peer-reviewed research within psychology and related fields.
From the Science Student Council
- Applications now being accepted for late-breaking poster session at APA convention
Application deadline is Feb. 23, 2018.
- APA offers five Advanced Training Institutes for summer 2018
Intensive, five-day training programs immerse psychological scientists in state-of-the-art research methods.
- APA’s Technology, Mind and Society conference
Registration is now open.
- APA Summer Undergraduate Psychology Research Experience Grants: Call for applications
Application deadline is Jan. 30, 2018.
- Call for nominations: Master lecturers and distinguished scientist lecturers
Nominations must be received by Feb. 16, 2018.
Science Highlights from the January Monitor
- A fresh vision for APA
New CEO Arthur C. Evans Jr., PhD, seeks to broaden the roles psychologists play to tackle some of society's most pressing problems.
- The dawn of social robots
Roboticists must dip heavily into psychological science.
- Can an app change your mood?
Wearable devices and mobile apps that track mental health are hitting the market. Proceed with caution.
- Turning classrooms into learning laboratories
The LearnLab at Carnegie Mellon University takes a high-tech approach to understanding and improving learning.
- 4 questions for Tomi-Ann Roberts
The Colorado College psychology professor says an inappropriate encounter with Harvey Weinstein put her on a path to study the sexual objectification and sexualization of girls and women.
- Young victims of the opioid crisis
More children are being sent to foster care due to a parent's opioid misuse. Psychologists are ramping up efforts to help.
- Renowned psychologists elected to fellow status
Congratulations to the 90 new members on APA's list of luminaries.
- By the numbers: Dangerous drinking
Binge drinking is on the rise among U.S. adults, but it is down among teens.
PSA is the monthly e-newsletter of the APA Science Directorate. It is read by psychologists, students, academic administrators, journalists and policymakers in Congress and federal science agencies.