Psychological Science Agenda
A publication of the Science Directorate
March 2017 |Vol. 31, No. 3
- APA workshop: How to Share Research Data
Application deadline is April 15, 2017.
- APA marches for science
APA activities around March for Science aim to empower advocates for psychological science.
- Trump budget delivers a seismic shock to science
How bad is it — and how likely are the proposed cuts to be enacted?
- Affordable Care Act revision leaves science largely untouched
Psychological research funded through the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute is not being considered among proposed changes…so far.
- Five psychology departments receive APA Summer Undergraduate Psychology Research Experience grants to support undergraduate research experiences
APA summer grants enable students to work in labs and receive mentoring.
- APA Council of Representatives approves PTSD clinical practice guideline
Guideline can help inform health care providers’ plans for treating patients.
- APA urges Congress to reject president's proposed budget
Drastic cuts would severely limit science, health, education and human services programs.
- APA calls upon Congress to oppose American Health Care Act
Expresses concern to House leaders over Congressional Budget Office analysis.
- Statement on administration’s decision to rescind guidance on federal protections for transgender students
Stress in America
- APA’s survey finds constantly checking electronic devices linked to significant stress for most americans
Stress in America™ poll shows parents struggling to balance personal and family technology use.
- Many Americans stressed about future of our nation, new APA Stress in America™ survey reveals
Poll shows more Americans reporting symptoms of stress and citing personal safety and terrorism as sources of stress.
- In brief
Snapshots of some of the latest peer-reviewed research within psychology and related fields.
From the Science Student Council
- Call for nominations: 2018 APA Distinguished Scientific Awards
Deadline to nominate is June 1, 2017.
- APA Distinguished Service Award: Nominate your colleague
A major honor for psychologists who are committed to promoting the discipline — nominations due April 3, 2017.
- Graduate students: Apply now for an APA Convention Student Travel Award
Applications are due April 7, 2017.
- 2018 Gold Medal Awards for Life Achievement: Call for nominations
Deadline to nominate is June 1, 2017.
- 2017 APA Academic Career Workshops
- APA offers four Advanced Training Institutes for summer 2017
Intensive, five-day training programs immerse psychological scientists in state-of-the-art research methods.
- APA’s Minority Fellowship Program sponsors Psychology Summer Institute
Science Highlights from the March Monitor
- Will NIMH have a broader mission?
Psychologists are asking the new director of the National Institute of Mental Health to increase the agency's support for psychosocial research.
- Brighter futures for anxious kids
Psychologists are homing in on the best ways to treat and prevent the most common mental health disorder among children and adolescents.
- 4 questions for Alison Gopnik
The developmental psychologist explains why we can’t raise “monoculture” kids.
- Colombian and U.S. researchers partner to foster healing
Researchers from both countries are identifying interventions that work to improve the mental health of the millions of Colombians harmed by the decades-long civil war.
- Personalized medicine to help smokers quit
A simple test could help doctors match the right smoking cessation medication to the right patient.
Psychologists' research shows how smartphones are affecting our health and well-being, and points the way toward taking back control.
- By the numbers: The cost of treatment
Depression ranks among the most costly health conditions in the United States.
PSA is the monthly e-newsletter of the APA Science Directorate. It is read by psychologists, students, academic administrators, journalists and policymakers in Congress and federal science agencies.