Call for nominations: 2018 APA Distinguished Scientific Awards
The American Psychological Association invites nominations for its scientific awards program for 2018. There are three categories of awards to consider:
- The Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award honors psychologists who have made distinguished theoretical or empirical contributions to basic research in psychology.
- The Distinguished Scientific Award for the Applications of Psychology honors psychologists who have made exceptional theoretical or empirical advances in psychology leading to the understanding or amelioration of important practical problems.
- The Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology recognizes excellent young psychologists.
Nominations for the Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award and the Award for Applications of Psychology should include: a letter of nomination, a current vita, the names and addresses of several scientists familiar with the nominee’s work, a list of 10 of the nominee’s most significant and representative publications and three reprints (or electronic links to publications) representative of the nominee’s contribution. All materials can be submitted electronically.
The letter of nomination should address: the important theoretical and empirical contributions, and their impacts on the field, that are usually attributed to the nominee; and the influences the nominee has had on students and others in the same field of study. (Where possible, please identify the nominee’s students by name.)
For Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology, nominations of persons who received doctoral degrees during and since 2008 are being sought in these five areas:
- Animal learning and behavior, comparative.
- Cognition and human learning.
- Developmental psychology.
- Health psychology.
These Early Career Award categories should be interpreted broadly. Nominations of psychologists who are female and/or from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Nominations for the Early Career Awards should include: a statement on the contribution of the nominee (maximum of two pages in length), a current vita and no more than five reprints (or electronic links to publications) representative of the nominee’s contribution. All material should be submitted electronically.
The deadline for submitting all 2018 nominations is June 1, 2017. You may submit nominations to Suzanne Wandersman.
PSA is the monthly e-newsletter of the APA Science Directorate. It is read by psychologists, students, academic administrators, journalists and policymakers in Congress and federal science agencies.