Call for Nominations for the Committee on Socioeconomic Status
Terms Beginning in 2018
The Committee on Socioeconomic Status (CSES) has concluded its 2018 call for nominationsfor service on the committee. CSES annually invites nominations for service to fill any vacancies on the committee. The nominations cycle for the 2019 term will be announced spring 2019. Nominations can originate from individuals, APA committees, boards and Divisions, as well as self-nominations.
The mission of CSES is to further the major purpose of APA “to advance psychology as a science and a profession and as a means of promoting health, education and human welfare” by ensuring that issues of socioeconomic status (SES) receives the full attention of the association. The committee identifies and acts as a catalyst in the association’s efforts to address issues of SES and promote appropriate attention to SES in psychological research and practice.
In this regard, the committee shall:
- Collect information and documentation concerning SES.
- Promote scientific understanding of the roles of poverty and SES in health, education and human welfare.
- Develop approaches to the application of psychology that take into account the effects of SES on psychological development and well-being.
- Advocate for social policy that will alleviate or reduce the disparities between SES groups.
Nominees are being sought who have expertise in psychological issues related to social class and SES inequalities, have conducted research that aided in the scientific understanding of the roles of SES or social class in psychology and have developed approaches to the application of psychology taking into account the effects of SES on psychological development and well-being. CSES has a strong commitment to full diversity in representation (e.g., ethnicity, culture, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, geographic location, early career, retired and individuals who are employed less than full time).
CSES members are required to attend two committee meetings each year in Washington, D.C., with expenses reimbursed by APA. In 2018, the meetings are scheduled for March 23-25, and a tentative meeting in September. Committee members also work on CSES priorities between meetings and will be expected to participate in regular committee conference calls and listserv discussions. In addition, CSES members are encouraged to attend CSES related symposia and events at the APA Annual Convention if possible, though expenses cannot be reimbursed.
How to Apply
Each applicant must be an APA member. The nomination packet must include the following information:
- A current curriculum vitae of nominee.
- A letter of intent from the nominee describing his/her willingness to serve and a statement that highlights what he/she would like to contribute to advancing the mission of CSES.
- A brief description of the nominee’s qualifications, specifically highlighting the nominee’s interests and focus.
- Letters of recommendation are not required. However, up to two letters of recommendation will be accepted per nominee.