Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity
The mission of the APA Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity is to advance the creation, communication and application of psychological knowledge on gender identity and sexual orientation to benefit society and improve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people's lives.
Programs and Services
APA LGBT News
Dr. Clinton Anderson, Director of the Office of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, receives the 2017 SCRA Special Contributions to Public Policy Award.
Bisexual Health Awareness Month
The APA Div. 44 Bisexual Issues Committee is asking psychologists, trainees and allied professionals who identify as bi+ to briefly explain what social support and resiliency mean to them via an anonymous form by March 24.
Kevin Nadal, PhD, awarded Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest — Early Career.
LGBT Health Twitter Chat Storify
Hosted by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and APA Public Interest.
Held June 22, 2016
Affirmative Counseling and Psychological Practice With Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients
Edited by Anneliese A. Singh, PhD, and lore m. dickey, PhD
APA Books, August 2016
Anneliese Singh and lore dickey: On Trans-Affirmative Counseling and Psychological Practice
APA Books Blog, July 29, 2016
The Committee on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity presented its 2016 Outstanding Achievement Award to Allen Omoto, PhD and Glenda Russell, PhD.
Other News & Announcements
- Colton Keo-Meier, PhD, testified before the Texas Senate Advisory Committee on March 16 against SB6, the state's "bathroom bill," which would ban people from using restrooms that conform to their gender identity.
- The George Washington University graduate certificate program in LGBT Health Policy & Practice is now accepting applications. The program trains health professionals to improve care for LGBT people and to advocate for change. (For creating the program, Program Director Stephen Forssell was recipient of the 2015 Distinguished Contribution to Education and Training Award from the Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues.)
- National Institutes of Health Designate Sexual and Gender Minority Populations as a Health Disparity Population for Research Purposes
Oct. 6, 2016
- Information Sheet: Australian Psychological Society Recommends Mental Health Practices that Affirm Transgender People's Experiences (PDF, 240KB)
- United Nations Human Rights Council adopted a resolution condemning violence and discrimination against people on the basis of their sexual orientation and gender identity and establishing a new independent expert to assess implementation of international human rights instruments regarding LGBT people.
June 28, 2016
- More Americans Engaging in Same-Sex Encounters
The number who are OK with homosexuality has quadrupled in last 40 years, survey finds.
HealthDay, June 1, 2016
- Statement by President Obama on the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, May 17, 2016
- A Qualitative Study of the Barriers to and Facilitators of Smoking Cessation Among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Smokers Who Are Interested in Quitting LGBT Health, February 2017, Vol. 4, No. 1: 24-33
- The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey
With almost 28,000 respondents, the U.S. Trans Survey (USTS) is the largest survey ever devoted to the lives and experiences of trans people.
- Affirmative Psychological Testing and Neurocognitive Assessment with Transgender Adults
Psychiatric Clinics of North America, March 2017
Open access until 3/23
- Ten Key LGBTQ Health Advocacy Issues (PDF, 189KB)
A guide to educate the public on LGBTQ health priorities that the National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund and the National Coalition for LGBT Health will focus on during the next presidential administration.
- Disorders related to sexuality and gender identity in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD)-11: Revising the ICD-10 classiﬁcation based on current scientiﬁc evidence, best clinical practices and human rights considerations (PDF, 170KB)
World Psychiatry, October 2016
- The Growing Regulation of Conversion Therapy (PDF, 7MB)
Journal of Medical Regulation, Vol. 102, Number 2, 2016
- Providing Competent and Affirming Services for Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Older Adults
Clinical Gerontologist, June 21, 2016
- LGBT Aging: A Review of Research Findings, Needs, and Policy Implications
Williams Institute, August 2016