Publications and Resources
Resources for Professionals
Changing Frames and Expanding Partnerships to Promote Children's Mental Health and Social/Emotional Development
Child mental health is an essential part of healthy development with long-term implications for a child’s and family’s quality of life.
CYF News: Winter 2012
This newsletter addresses children in foster care dealing with mental health care and services, reunification readiness, trauma-focused cognitive behavior and special needs adoption.
Speak up for Kids 2012
The Child Mind Institute is standing up for children's mental health and treatment. Learn more about how to host, give or attend a talk on childhood mental health disorders and issues.
Report of Healthy Development: A Summit on Young Children's Mental Health
Summit participants identified empirically supported findings about children’s mental health and the most critical and useful ideas to improve public understanding.
Products of the Presidential Task Force on PTSD and Trauma in Children and Adolescents
Resources for mental health professionals and policymakers on PTSD and trauma in children and youth.
A New Look at Adolescent Girls Strengths and Stresses Research Agenda
This booklet was excerpted from Beyond Appearance A New Look at Adolescent Girls and provides research questions focused on the strengths, challenges, and choices within the contexts of girls' lives. 28 pages.
Developing Adolescents: A Reference for Professionals (PDF, 800KB)
This booklet was designed to provide professionals who work with adolescents with basic information about healthy adolescent development.
Related APA Books
Resources for Parents, Teachers and Caregivers
Building Blocks for Preschool Success
APA's Health Disparities Office has partnered with a multidisciplinary group of experts to compile resources on how best to eliminate preschool suspensions and expulsions, which disproportionately affect children of color, and keep our youngest learners in school.
Later School Start Times Promote Adolescent Well-being (PDF, 180KB)
Moving high school start times can improve student performance and general well-being.
Resources for Primary Care Physicians
Information about integrating psychology into the health care system, the Affordable Care Act and suggestions for treating sleep problems in adolescents.
Protecting our Children from Abuse and Neglect
A brochure written for parents, teachers, relatives and those who care for children on how to recognize and prevent child abuse and neglect. Provides information on causes and what happens to abused and neglected children. A public education pamphlet. 1997.
Love Doesn’t Have to Hurt Teens (PDF, 640KB)
This poster-style brochure on teen dating violence provides information and resources for victims, aggressors, and friends. It includes discussion of issues particular to disabled youth, same-sex relationships and cultural beliefs.
Early Learning Guidelines (ELG) Educator Toolkit
The ELG Toolkit is a roadmap to early childhood educators looking for national and state resources that are based on research and evidence-based practices.
Related APA Books
- Black Jack Jetty: A Boy’s Journey Through Grief
- Danny and the Blue Cloud: Coping with Childhood Depression
- Dating and Sex: A Guide for the 21st Century Teen Boy
- The Implementation of Mental Health Programs in Schools: A Change Agent’s Guide
- The Inside Story on Teen Girls
- Lucy in the City: A Story About Developing Spatial Thinking Skills
- Oh Brother!: Growing Up with a Special Needs Sibling
- Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
- Ready for Take-Off: Preparing Your Teen with ADHD or LD for College
- Self-Regulated Learning Interventions with At-Risk Youth: Enhancing Adaptability, Performance, and Well-Being
- Shield Up!: How Upstanding Bystanders Stop Bullying
- Teaching Life Skills to Children and Teens with ADHD: A Guide for Parents and Counselors
- There's a Cat in Our Class!: A Tale About Getting Along
- The Tween Book: A Growing-Up Guide for the Changing You