In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Why social isolation is bad for us as we age (and what we can do to combat it)
The sizeable portion of older adults living alone is alarming giving the harmful effects of social isolation.
- Updated ‘Resources for the Inclusion of Social Class in Psychology Curricula’
Our new suite of resources is designed to help educators enrich the teaching of psychology in ways that further understanding of the causes and consequences of poverty.
- Congratulations to The Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity’s $100,000 and $1,250,000 grants
The Arcus grant helps to bring the voice of science and professional authority to sexual and gender minority issues globally and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention grant extends APA’s safe and supportive schools work in the U.S.
- College resource guides for students with disabilities, their parents/guardians and faculty
Taking action toward access in college.
Did You Know?
- Sleep is essential for a person’s health and well-being
Cognitive-behavioral therapy does a better job of reducing insomnia than sleeping pills.
Government Relations Office
- APA advocates for international lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights
APA sends letter of support for International Human Rights Defense Act.
- Minority Fellowship Program goes to Capitol Hill
Fellows from 10 states visit with members of Congress to advocate for funding.
- APA submits programs for funding eligibility under new child welfare law
Family First Act set to dramatically increase availability of mental health, substance use and parenting education services.
- Asking Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Question in American Community Survey and the Census
APA supports SOGI federal data collection in ACS, census.
- Demystifying gender dysphoria
APA co-hosts congressional briefing on “Demystifying Gender Dysphoria”.