In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Mental health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities
Understanding the barriers that exist can assist practitioners and researchers in eliminating mental health disparities for individuals experiencing a serious mental illness.
- APA joins psychology organizations globally on statement supporting human rights and affirmative mental health care for LGBTIQ+ people
On June 27 at the International Congress of Applied Psychology, the International Psychology Network for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex Issues (IPsyNet) introduced the IPsyNet Statement and Commitment. The APA Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity is the Secretariat for IPsyNet.
- "How to Better Address Racism-Related Stress in African American Older Adults #BlackAgingMatters" will be held on Thursday, July 26 from 2-3 p.m. EST
The webinar will provide in-depth information on race-related stress and African-American older adults, a sharing of the experience of race-related stress for an older African-American, and interventions and implications for health and aging service provision.
Did You Know?
- Women and men aren’t as different as you think
A review of dozens of studies found that men and women are basically alike when comes to personality, thinking ability and leadership.
Public Relation Office
- Immigration advocacy update
See what APA has been doing to protect immigrants and their family.