In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Nominations for Presidential Citation as an APA Citizen Psychologist™
APA is seeking nominations of individuals who will be recognized as a "citizen psychologist" by 2017 APA President-elect Jessica Henderson Daniel, PhD.
- APA Office on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity is awarded a $100,000 grant from Arcus Foundation
The grant will fund the International Network’s participation in ICAP 2018 and initiatives of the national psychology organizations in Lebanon, the Philippines and South Africa.
- September is National Childhood Obesity Month
Approximately 18 percent of our youth are now overweight, with obesity rates in preschool-age children increasing at an alarming rate.
Did You Know?
- Jessica Henderson Daniel, PhD, will be first African-American woman to serve as APA president
Henderson Daniel served APA in numerous leadership positions before being elected 2018 president.
- The Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) actively engages in shaping federal policy to promote psychology in the public interest
In August, PI-GRO supported the opposition of juvenile solitary confinement, promoted the use of social science, and proposed sexual and gender equality legislation.