In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Public Interest at the APA convention
Join your colleagues at APA’s annual convention in Washington, D.C., Aug. 3-6, and be sure to check out highlights of Public Interest convention programming.
- Minority Fellowship Program (MFP) is making waves in 2017
MFP’s Psychology Summer Institute primes young psychologists to contribute to ethnic minority communities.
- July marks Minority Mental Health Awareness Month (PDF, 10.4MB)
Check out APA’s practitioner guide, “Addressing the Mental Health Needs of Racial and Ethnic Minority Youth.”
- Public Interest Directorate on Instagram and Twitter
Keep up with highlights on psychology’s contributions to issues that matter. Benefiting society and improving people's lives.
Did You Know?
- Coffee could lower women’s risk for depression
Women who drink at least 4 cups of coffee a week are 20 percent less likely to be diagnosed with depression or given antidepressants.
- Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) update
In June, PI-GRO supported legislation that would enhance U.S. ability to prevent and mitigate mass atrocities; eliminate solitary confinement of juveniles; and prohibit discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation or gender.