In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Applying the APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Trans & Gender Nonconforming People in Everyday Practice
This webinar used the guidelines as a springboard for discussing the necessary skills and self-awareness that clinicians must develop to provide gender-affirming care and a social justice framework.
- Psychology and AIDS Leadership Award recipients
This award recognizes distinguished leaders in the field who have made substantial contributions to fight against HIV and show promise for an extensive and influential career.
- APA IDAHOT congressional briefing “How Shifts in Federal Policy are Hurting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Americans”
International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia speakers reviewed the current political landscape, including supportive and discriminatory bills and actions emanating from executive branch agencies, with a focus on civil rights and data collection.
- Older American Month 2018: Engage at every age
This year, we’re emphasizing that you are never too old (or young) to be active and engage with others. Let’s celebrate and make a difference in our communities.
Did You Know?
- Sexual intimacy is important at any age
It's easy to assume that aging brings dramatic changes and that sexuality is not a topic that concerns older adults to any great degree.
Public Relations Office
- Interdivisional advocacy training
Interdivisional grant funds members to learn about advocacy at federal level.
- APA co-sponsored 2018 Rally to Prevent Suicide
Rally brought over 500 participants to the steps of the Capitol.
- Protecting the civil rights of transgender students
APA pens letter to Betsy DeVos.