In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- May 17 is International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT)
IDAHOT 2017 will focus on families.
- May marks Employee Health and Fitness Month
APA supports the health and fitness of APA staff all year round.
By Tara Davis
- World No Tobacco Day is May 31
Smoking has been the number one cause of preventable death and disease in this country for decades, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths per year.
Did You Know?
- Heart disease is the primary cause of death among women in the US
Women report experiencing higher levels of stress: 28 percent of women vs. 20 percent of men report having a great deal of stress.
- The Public Interest Government Relations Office actively engages in shaping federal policy to promote psychology in the public interest
Restrictive housing legislation receives APA support, APA members take to the Hill, APA opposes separating immigrant families and funding is requested on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control, and Prevention.