International Visitors to the APA Annual Convention
Passport and Visa Information
The 2017 APA Annual Convention is in Washington, D.C. Citizens or permanent residents of countries outside the United States must have a valid passport. Some visitors attending the convention may need a visa to enter the United States. Please review this visa resource (PDF, 134KB) that provides information on the process.
APA Letter of Invitation
Convention attendees can download and print a letter of invitation (PDF, 72KB) to the annual convention.
Note: A Letter of Invitation does not imply a commitment from APA to provide any financial support, nor can we call or write personal letters to embassies or consulates on your behalf.
Preparing for Convention
Transportation, hotel information and registration details are posted on the APA convention website.
It is strongly recommended to complete your hotel reservations and register for convention through the APA online system before the deadlines in order to save money and be assured the proper accommodations.
Once you register for convention, you will receive regular updates about upcoming convention activities. You can also download an APA convention app for your phone or tablet that will show you convention events and allow you to create a personalized schedule.
Grants and Awards to Attend Convention
- Early Career Research Award: Funds ($500) LGBTQ-related research which has been proposed or is ongoing, but has not yet been completed. Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate academic rigor and a commitment to LGBTQ research from a feminist perspective, as evidenced by publications, presentations, etc., and to those whose research would not be possible without funding. Please address any queries to Alexandra Agiliga.
Deadline: May 10, 2017
- Early Career Travel Award: Funds ($250) to help support attendance and participation at APA’s Annual Convention. Priority will be given to applicants with accepted proposals to present at convention and those demonstrating a commitment to work with LGBTQ populations from a feminist perspective through research, practice, teaching and/or community involvement. Please address any queries to Alexandra Agiliga.
Deadline: May 10, 2017
- Student International Research Award: For graduate students in psychology to recognize promising research in international psychology.
Deadline: May 7, 2017
- Anastasi Graduate Student Research Award: Research award for graduate students in psychology with emphasis on research in psychometrics or differential psychology.
Deadline: June 7, 2017
- Div. 52/Psi Chi International APA Convention Travel Grant
Deadline: June 30, 2017 (Before midnight, EDT)
To help orient yourself while at convention please visit the International booth (this is APA's Office of International Affairs booth and is situated with the other APA department booths just outside the exhibit area in the APA Resource Center). Here you can find information about APA activities and about convention events.
In addition to the scientific programing at the convention center, there are programs in division suites. You can find information about these at the Division Services booth in APA Resource Center.
Be sure to plan to attend the reception for international visitors, hosted by APA’s Committee on International Relations in Psychology (CIRP) and others. For details see International Affairs at convention. In addition, there are many division-sponsored social hours where you can meet colleagues in a less formal setting. These are listed in the program book.
If you have any questions, please address them to:
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20002 USA
Tel: (202) 336-6025
Fax: (202) 336-5812
Email: International Office