Report of the Independent Reviewer and Related Materials
The APA Board of Directors engaged attorney David Hoffman of the law firm Sidley Austin in November 2014 to conduct an independent review of whether there was any factual support for the assertion that APA engaged in activity that would constitute collusion with the Bush administration to promote, support or facilitate the use of "enhanced" interrogation techniques by the United States in the war on terror. Following are links to the complete, unedited independent review and supplemental materials, press releases related to the report and documentation of action taken in response to the report by APA's Board of Directors, Council of Representatives and leadership.
Actions by APA Board of Directors, Council of Representatives and Leadership
- Board and Council Actions Related to the Report of the Independent Review Relating to APA Ethics Guidelines, National Security Interrogations and Torture: April 21, 2016
- Letter from APA President Barry S. Anton, PhD, ABPP, (PDF, 214KB) in response to an open letter to APA and the psychological community (PDF, 297KB) from members of the American Middle Eastern/North African (MENA) Psychological Network: Oct. 16, 2015
- APA Moving Forward After the Independent Review: Sept. 25, 2015
- Council of Representatives Resolution 23B (PDF, 263KB): Resolution to Amend the 2006 and 2013 Council Resolutions to Clarify the Roles of Psychologists Related to Interrogation and Detainee Welfare in National Security Settings, to Further Implement the 2008 Petition Resolution, and to Safeguard Against Acts of Torture and Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment in All Settings: Aug. 7, 2015 | En Español (PDF, 43KB)
- Roll Call Vote on Council of Representatives Resolution 23B (PDF, 87KB): Aug. 7, 2015
- Key Provisions of the APA Policy Banning Psychologist Participation in National Security Interrogations: Aug. 7, 2015
- Recommended Board Actions Related to the Report of the Independent Review Relating to APA Ethics Guidelines, National Security Interrogations and Torture: July 31, 2015 | En Español
- Recommended Board Actions Related to the Report of the Independent Review Relating to APA Ethics Guidelines, National Security Interrogations and Torture: July 29, 2015
- Letter to APA members from APA President-Elect Susan McDaniel, PhD, and APA Past President Nadine J. Kaslow, PhD, ABPP, members of the Special Committee for the Independent Review (PDF, 89KB): July 24, 2015
- Letter to Psychology Colleagues in the International Community (PDF, 131K): July 21, 2015 | En Español (PDF, 131K)
- APA Alerts Federal Officials to New Policy Banning Psychologists From National Security Interrogations: Oct. 28, 2015
- APA's Council Bans Psychologist Participation in National Security Interrogations: Aug. 7, 2015 | En Español
- APA Announces Retirements and Resignation of Senior Leaders: July 14, 2015
- Independent Review Cites Collusion Among APA Individuals and Defense Department Officials in Policy on Interrogation Techniques: July 10, 2015 | En Español
Independent Review Report & Supplemental Materials
- Report of the Independent Reviewer, Revised Sept. 4, 2015 (PDF, 2 MB): Sept. 4, 2015
- Errata Sheet of Sept. 4, 2015, Revisions to the Report of the Independent Reviewer (PDF, 28KB): Sept. 4, 2015
- Report of the Independent Reviewer (PDF, 2.62MB): July 2, 2015
- Index of Exhibits to the APA Independent Review Report (PDF, 171KB)
- Binder 1 (PDF, 104MB)
- Binder 2 (PDF, 164MB)
- Binder 3 (PDF, 93MB)
- Binder 4 (PDF, 212MB)
- Binder 5 (PDF, 85MB)
- Binder 6 (PDF, 70MB)
For those people who have been mentioned or otherwise have personal knowledge about the events discussed in the Independent Report, we have established a forum where you may post a response based on the facts presented or address what you believe are factual errors or provide your own account of the issues pertaining to you. PLEASE NOTE: The "Responses" page is not intended to be an open discussion forum. If you wish to comment on anything posted on that page, please use the public comments section at the bottom of this page.
All Public Comments on the Independent Report
The following comment section is provided to allow for an online conversation regarding the Independent Report and we ask that you provide helpful suggestions.
By posting your comment(s) here, you agree that you shall not upload to, or distribute or otherwise publish any libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, or otherwise illegal material. We ask that your conduct be courteous and respectful and that you not threaten or verbally abuse other people, use defamatory language, or deliberately disrupt discussions. Further, you agree not to use discriminatory language on the basis of race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, region, disability, etc. APA has the sole right to remove any posting it believes does not fit within these parameters without notice.