Center for Psychology and Health
The APA Center for Psychology and Health is dedicated to highlighting and advancing the contributions of psychology to the overall improvement of health status — both mental and physical — and health care in our nation. In so doing, psychologists aid in the prevention and treatment of serious and chronic illness (such as diabetes and heart disease) by focusing on modifying unhealthy behaviors, such as poor diet, inadequate exercise and substance use. The Center for Psychology and Health engages in a variety of cross-association and organizational collaborations to apply psychology's expertise to increase access to quality health care at a reduced cost.
Improving Health Care With Psychology
Integrated Health Care AllianceTraining and support network
Psychology and Health in ActionPDF, 1.5MB
Role of Psychology in Treating Health ConditionsBriefing sheets
Primary Care and PsychologySpecial journal issue
Psychologists in Integrated CareWeb video series
Chronic Pain and PsychologySpecial journal issue
Public Education CampaignGet involved
APA-YMCA PartnershipHealthy living
For Students and Educators
- How to become a primary-care psychologist
- Recommendations for training programs (PDF, 362KB)
- Primary-care psychology training directories:
Doctoral training programs (PDF, 182KB)
Internships (PDF, 558KB)
Postdocs (PDF, 283KB)
- Meet six student pioneers in integrated care
- How researchers are advancing health
- New: “Social determinants and collaborative health care: Improved outcomes, reduced costs” (PDF, 1.08MB) – co-authored by W. Douglas Tynan, PhD, director of the Office of Integrated Health Care.
- New: Adventures in Integrated Care
- Five ways to collaborate with physicians
- How to use health and behavior CPT codes
- Join the online state advocacy community
- Learn more about patient-centered health homes
- Keys to making integrated care work
For the Public
- Connecting with caregivers
Support and advice for family caregivers.
- What is integrated care?
- Managing the stress of chronic illness
- How psychologists promote health and well-being
- Have your children had their anti-smoking shots?
- Five ways to make lifestyle changes that last
- APA’s Stress in America survey
- Can weight-loss surgery cure diabetes?