Center for Psychology and Health
The APA Center for Psychology and Health is dedicated to highlighting and advancing the contributions of psychology to the overall improvement of health status — both mental and physical — and health care in our nation. In so doing, psychologists aid in the prevention and treatment of serious and chronic illness (such as diabetes and heart disease) by focusing on modifying unhealthy behaviors, such as poor diet, inadequate exercise and substance use. The Center for Psychology and Health engages in a variety of cross-association and organizational collaborations to apply psychology's expertise to increase access to quality health care at a reduced cost.
Improving Health Care With Psychology
Technololgy, Mind & Society ConferenceApril 5-7, Washington, D.C.
Integrated Health Care AllianceTraining and support network
Psychology and Health in ActionPDF, 1.5MB
Role of Psychology in Treating Health ConditionsBriefing sheets
Primary Care and PsychologySpecial journal issue
Psychologists in Integrated CareWeb video series
For Students and Educators
- Minority fellowship Psychology Summer Institute
- Interprofessional Seminar Curriculum
- Trend report: Integrated health training is on the rise
- Expanding care for rural patients
- How the threat to end loan forgiveness could hurt access to care
- Meeting Evolving Workforce Needs: Preparing Psychologist for Leadership in the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PDF, 227KB)
- Running start...to a great career: Working with interdisciplinary teams
- Integrated Primary Care Readiness and Behaviors Scale: Development and validation in behavioral health professionals.
By Blaney, Cerissa L.; Redding, Colleen A.; Paiva, Andrea L.; Rossi, Joseph S.; Prochaska, James O.; Blissmer, Bryan; Burditt, Caitlin T.; Nash, Justin M.; Bayley, Keri Dotson
Families, Systems, & Health, Vol 36(1), Mar 2018, 97-107
- “Social determinants and collaborative health care: Improved outcomes, reduced costs” (PDF, 1.08MB) co-authored by W. Douglas Tynan, PhD, director of the Office of Integrated Health Care.
- How to use health and behavior CPT codes
- More information on reimbursement, payment and proper coding.
- Stress and Health Disparities Report
- Clinical Health Psychology Book Series
- New: Adventures in Integrated Care
- Five ways to collaborate with physicians
- APA Prize for Interdisciplinary Team Research: Call for Applications
- Trends report: Targeting social factors that undermine health
- Get involved in Advocacy
- Working with medical patients in integrated primary care
- Health psychology promotes wellness