Classroom Activities and Two-Day Lesson Plans
Are you looking for an activity or lesson plan to use tomorrow in class? The activities below have been pulled from two of the TOPSS unit lesson plans. Also available on this page are two-day lesson plans from recent past winners of the APA TOPSS Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Awards. We will add additional activities this fall.
Activities from the Research Methods and Statistics Unit Lesson Plan1
Lesson 1: The Scientific Method and Psychological Science
- Activity 1.1: Sampling or Assignment? (PDF, 89KB)
- Activity 1.2: A Tasty Sample(r): Teaching About Sampling Using M&M’s (PDF, 111KB)
- Activity 1.3: Do Cookies/Donuts Improve Memory? Errors in Methodology (PDF, 67KB)
Lesson 2: Research Methods
Lesson 4: Ethical Issues in Research
- Activity 4.1: Research Ethics (PDF, 87KB)
Lesson 5: Statistics
- Activity 5.1: Statistical Significance (PDF, 77KB)
1This lesson plan was produced with grant support from the American Psychological Foundation.
Activities from the Perspectives in Psychological Science Unit Lesson Plan (History and Perspectives)
Lesson 1: Evolution of Psychological Science
- Activity 1.1: Activities From the Society for the History of Psychology Website (PDF, 105KB)
- Activity 1.2: Facebook Activity (PDF, 136KB)
- Activity 1.3: Psychology Goes to Madison Avenue (PDF, 82KB)
Lesson 2: Psychological Perspectives
Two-Day Lesson Plans
Submitted by recent past winners of the APA TOPSS Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Awards
- Standard Area: Research Methods, Measurement and Statistics
"Psychological Science Lesson Plans" (PDF, 121KB)
Amy Ramponi, Kimberly High School, Kimberly, Wis.
- Standard Area: Biological Bases of Behavior
"Lesson plan for the Brain Biopsychology Unit" (PDF, 712KB)
Steve Jones, MA, City of Medicine Academy, Durham N.C.
- Standard Area: Sensation and Perception
"Perception" (PDF, 106KB)
William Elmhorst, MS, Marshfield High School, Marshfield, Wisc.
- Standard Area: Life Span Development
"Lesson Plan for Kohlberg’s Theory of Moral Development" (PDF, 671KB)
Daria Schaffeld, MA, Prospect High School, Mt. Prospect, Ill.
- Standard Area: Learning
"Learning" (PDF, 73KB)
Alan Feldman, MA, Glen Rock High School, Glen Rock, N.J.
- "Operant Conditioning" (PDF, 240KB)
Joseph Swope, PhD, Northwest High School, Germantown, Md.
- Standard Area: Social Interactions
"Lesson Plan for Social Psychology Unit" (PDF, 131KB)
Tiffany Karns, Rowlett High School, Rowlett, Texas
- Standard Area: Memory
"Memory"—lesson plan (PDF, 277KB) and supporting activity (PDF, 694KB)
Lara Bruner, MA, Desert Vista High School, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Standard Area: Intelligence
"Issues in Intelligence and Testing" (PDF, 79KB)
Virginia Welle, MS, Chippewa Falls Senior High School, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
- Standard Area: Personality
"Personality Theory" (PDF, 191KB)
Michael Sullivan, MA, Hopkinton High School, Hopkinton, Mass.
- Standard Area: Psychological Disorders
"Mental Illness and Stigma" (PDF, 307KB)
Jessica Flitter, MA, West Bend East High School, West Bend, Wis.