Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
February 2017 |Vol. 27, No. 1
In This Issue
- Strengthening the delivery and assessment of high school psychology: APA’s Summit on High School Psychology Education
More on the strands being discussed at the 2017 High School Summit.
By Amy Fineburg, PhD, and Regan A. R. Gurung, PhD
- What are regional psychological associations?
The regional associations are a vibrant community for anyone in psychological science.
- Cutting-edge research: Six ways to help you keep up with what’s new
Check out these links to hot topics in psychological science.
- My favorite TED Talks
Using TED Talks to go beyond the textbook.
By Jen Schlicht, MS
- The Greater Philadelphia Area Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (PhiTOPSS)
PhiTOPSS has created high quality professional development, new colleagues and friends in Central Pennsylvania.
By Maria Vita
- Teacher spotlight on Sue Frantz
Highlighting the great ideas from our psychology colleagues.
- Review of “What Psychology Majors Could (and Should) Be Doing: A Guide to Research Experience, Professional Skills, and Your Options After College (2nd Ed.)"
This book focuses on preparing psychology majors for the future.
News From TOPSS and CABE
- Reminder: 2017 APA TOPSS Essay Competition
The 2017 competition will focus on an aging world. Deadline: March 15, 2017.
- New TOPSS lesson plan on Research Methods and Statistics
A new lesson plan to help with teaching the Scientific Inquiry Domain.
- APF High School Psychology Outreach Grants
Funding available to support regional teaching networks and student events. Deadline: April 15, 2017.
- 2017 APA/Clark University Workshop for High School Teachers
Join us at Clark University on June 28-30, 2017. Application deadline: April 15, 2017.
News From the APA Center for Psychology in Schools and Education
- The APA Center for Psychology in Schools and Education announces new continuing education programs and publications for teachers
APA now offers online continuing education and new resources for teachers.
Mark Your Calendar
- Southeastern Conference on the Teaching of Psychology (SETOP)
The SETOP conference will be held in Atlanta on March 11, 2017.
- Conference for Teaching Introductory Psychology (TIP Northwest)
Save the date: April 7, 2017 at Highline College.
- The Terman Teaching Conference
The Terman Teaching Conference will be held in Sacramento on April 26, 2017.
- APA Pre-convention Workshop for Introductory Psychology Teachers
Looking for professional development this August? Join us on Aug. 2.
- APA convention 2017
Convention returns to Washington, D.C., on Aug 3-6, 2017.