Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
May 2017 |Vol. 27, No. 2
In This Issue
- Strengthening the reach of the summit: Sparking connections across strands
Reflections on potential outcomes of the 2017 APA High School Summit.
By Kenneth A. Weaver, PhD, and Ladonna Lewis, PhD
- Advice for gaining Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval on research projects with students
Mentoring students through the IRB process.
By Amy Pearce, PhD
- Your summer reading list: 5 psychology books to add to your bookshelf
Some ideas for your summer reading.
- Teacher Spotlight on Regan A. R. Gurung, PhD
Highlighting the great ideas from our psychology colleagues.
- Review of “Activities for Teaching Statistics and Research Methods: A Guide for Psychology Instructors”
These classroom activities can enrich your lessons.
News from TOPSS and CABE
- Congratulations to the 2017 TOPSS Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Award Recipients
Kudos to this year’s teaching award winners.
- New classroom poster on geropsychology provided for teachers
The poster was developed by the APA Committee on Aging.
- Adjunct Faculty Resource Guide: How to Thrive as a Psychology Instructor (PDF, 2.9MB)
The Committee on Associate and Baccalaureate Education (CABE) shares tips for new adjunct faculty.
News from the APA Center for Psychology in Schools and Education (CPSE)
- CPSE announces the Top 20 Badges Program
APA offers recognition to preK-12 schools for using evidence-based strategies to boost achievement and student well-being.
News From the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP)
- The Employable Skills Self-Efficacy Survey
Discover a new resource on assessing students’ employable skills.
- Enhance and Assess Your Intro Course (PDF, 397KB)
A Board of Educational Affairs working group shares recommendations for assessing the intro course.
- Psych Learning Curve blog and Weekly News Roundup
Featuring hot topics and news in psychology and education.
- Teaching With Metacognition: Call for submissions
This site will include activities to develop metacognition in students or to practice metacognitive instruction.
- Society for Neuroscience Brain Awareness video contest
Engage your students in science learning.
Mark your calendar
- APS-STP Teaching Institute
Save the dates for the Teaching Institute on May 24-25, 2017, in Boston.
- Eastern Conference on the Teaching of Psychology (ETOP)
Connect with colleagues at ETOP on June 23-24, 2017, in Staunton, Virginia.
- Vancouver International Conference on the Teaching of Psychology
Save the date: July 27-29, 2017, in Vancouver, Canada.
- APA Pre-Convention Workshop for Introductory Psychology Teachers
Looking for professional development this summer? Join us on Aug. 2.
- APA Annual Convention 2017
Convention returns to Washington, D.C., on Aug 3-6, 2017.
- Northeast Conference for Teachers of Psychology (NECTOP)
Join your teaching colleagues at NECTOP in Newton, Mass., on Oct. 20, 2017.
- STP Annual Conference on Teaching (ACT)
STP invites you to ACT in San Antonio, on Oct. 20-21, 2017.