Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
May 2018 |Vol. 28, No. 2
In This Issue
- The answer is assessment
New resources for psychology teachers on assessment.
By Stephanie Franks
- How psychology has helped society accept homosexuality
Attitude change and acceptance have been facilitated through psychological science.
By Sam G. McFarland, PhD
- Psychology is everywhere
This Annual Advanced Placement Psychology Convention showcases student research in psychological science.
By Peggy Ollerhead
- Teacher spotlight on Jaye Van Kirk
Highlighting the great ideas from our psychology colleagues.
- Review of ‘The Wisest One in the Room: How You Can Benefit From Social Psychology’s Most Powerful Insights’
This book shares some of the major contributions from social psychology.
News from TOPSS and CABE
- Congratulations to the 2018 Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (TOPSS) Charles T. Blair-Broeker Excellence in Teaching Award recipients
Kudos to this year’s teaching award winners.
- Call for Nominations to Committee on Associate and Baccalaureate Education (CABE)
The deadline is Aug. 31, 2018.
- Call for nominations to TOPSS
The deadline is July 1, 2018.
- Building, guiding and sustaining regional teaching networks (PDF, 111KB)
This new toolkit outlines benefits and a “how to” guide for starting or sustaining a regional teaching network.
- Technology tips and tricks: Assessment and engagement
Part 2 of the series on suggestions for integrating technology tools in the high school psychology class.
- Request for feedback on the National Standards for High School Psychology Curricula
Share your thoughts to help inform the third revision of the National Standards.
News from CPSE
- APA is now offering new topics for professional development and continuing education credit/hours
Need professional development?
- Educator Needs Survey
APA needs the input of pre-K-12 teachers about the current professional development needs of America's educators. This survey will help create free, accessible, easy to use, evidence-based resources that promote the application of psychological science in pre-K-12 education.
- Center for Psychology in Schools and Education session on applying psychological science to education at the APA Annual Convention
Join us at the APA Annual Convention, Aug. 9-12, 2018, in San Francisco.
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology publishes new e-Book on lab exercises for high school psychology
This new publication covers 16 different content areas in an introductory psychology course.
- BEA Grants for Precollege and Undergraduate Teaching Conferences
These grants support precollege and undergraduate teaching conferences to enhance the quality of teaching and learning outcomes.
- The power in you makes a difference
Help grow the future of psychology and encourage students and colleagues to be a part of APA.
- 2018 APA Annual Convention
Don’t miss the APA Annual Convention in San Francisco, Aug 9-12, 2018.
- Programs for teachers at the 2018 APA Annual Convention
You won’t want to miss programming from TOPSS or CABE, or the G. Stanley Hall or Harry S. Kirke Wolfe lectures.
- 2018 New England Psychological Association conference and the Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Psychology
Join colleagues Nov. 9-10, 2018, in Worcester, Massachusetts.